Friday, August 21, 2009

Waves of Excitement

We will officially begin homeschooling SharkMan on Monday. We decided to forego kindergarten this year and do a PreK 5 year instead since my former "teacher days" taught me that giving a boy one additional year before school can make a huge impact of their future education. So our PreK 5 year will include many of the traditional Kindergarten experiences but still allow for plenty of time to play, explore and create. One reason I love the homeschooling option is that I can create a curriculum that is right for my child without worrying about which grade a specific topic/skill is covered.

It's funny how I am nervous about our decision. I have never met a mom yet who regrets holding her child back a year before Kindergarten (while I've met many moms who wished they would have waited,) but I still wonder what impact it might have on him. He is very sad that he will not be in the same Sunday School and AWANA class as some of his friends who are going on to Kindergarten. While I hate to see his tears, I know that my dh and I have prayed about this option over the years and we remain unwavered on our decision that this is best for SharkMan.

While I am nervous, I am very excited as well. I have spent the summer reading and scouring curriculum to find exactly what we like. I have pieced together my curriculum this year by taking from all of my favorites - Sonlight, Singapore Math, Veritas, Phonics Road to Reading, Charlotte Mason, ETA, and The Well Trained Mind. Yes - we will be eclectic in this journey. I also have found a group of like minded moms of Prek and Kindergarten age children who also plan to educate their children at home. We are planning on getting together to have Science Days and playdates. I am so blessed that the Lord has provided such great friends to take this trip with.

My goal with this blog is to give our family and friends insight into our journey and to watch SharkMan grow up right before their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment